Saturday, January 22, 2011

Display in Play Area

I needed something to fill a wall in the half of my living room that's our designated "play area." I really wanted to display photos and my kids' artwork in a tasteful kind of way, that didn't involved putting tons of holes in the wall (since this is a rental house)!

I had thought about buying a pegboard to hang items on, but felt that pegboard is more conducive to holding chunky items instead of small pieces of paper--drawings & photos.

I had thought about putting up a bulletin board, but thought that had more of a "college dorm" feel, which I don't oppose, but it's not what I'm looking for in the main living space of my house. Plus pointy tacks and playrooms don't mix well.

In our old home, I had an official toy room. To display the kids' artwork in there I simply strung a piece of twine along one wall, tied to some simple wood screws up high on the wall. Very simple, kind of folksy and "clean" feeling.  I decided I wanted the same thing here, but I didn't have a long(ish) wall to string a line along--everything in the room is broken up by doorways or windows.

So I created the below display. I had to buy the wood--although most people probably have stuff like this laying around their garage/basement (cost me about $6), but everything else I already had on-hand: white paint, eye screws, twine and clothespins.  Easy-peasy and a GREAT focal point for the play-area. What do you think? It's got a pottery-barn look at a dumpster-diving price.





This'll make a great (and easily-changeable) holiday display, too. Think: holiday cards! 
.

4 comments:

  1. I love this...It is a great idea...one that I might have to steal someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got three of those wire curtain rod things at Ikea to do this same type of thing.

    ReplyDelete