Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Movies of 2011

Since I'm keeping a record of what books I read this year, let's do movies as well. Any movie I've already seen within the last five years does NOT count on this list (so that'll exclude watching ET for the umpteenth time with the littles).  But if I go back and re-watch a movie I haven't seen in a long time, that'll go on the list.

Also included: a ten-second review of each film.

  1. Shutter Island (2010). Just as predictable and dull as the book (did ANYone not see this "twist" after the first 10 minutes--or 30 pages?!)
  2. Inception. (2010). Everyone seemed to love this movie, but I wasn't expecting much; I don't usually like things everyone else loves. But I did enjoy this one. I saw some major flaws that I won't go into (except pointing out that infuriating aspect of most action movies: the bad guys can't shoot for SHIT, but the good guys manage to kill at least TWO bad guys with every bullet fired. Ugh). Also Leo and that kid from "third rock" seemed really out-of-place in this movie. I've seen enough Leo to last me another ten years, I think.
  3. The Golden Compass (2007). I finished reading this series (His Dark Materials) by Philip Pullman at the end of 2009 (and I LOVED it), so I figured I'd give the movie a whirl, though I KNEW it wasn't going to do the book justice. It was a travesty. I think they wanted to cram in every single aspect of excitement & battle, but the left out the heart. It was oddly action-packed AND extraordinarily dull at the same time. There was no depth to it whatsoever. What a shame.
  4. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (2009, Swedish). I read the first two books (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire) and while the story was interesting, the books didn't hold my attention very well--the writer (may he RIP) was very, VERY into mundane details. So I wanted to see how the story wrapped up without struggling through another way-too-long book. All these films were good--nothing mind-blowing, but they were good. . . as long as you don't mind subtitles. They're re-making 'em here in the US and I can't imagine them being anywhere near as good as the Swedish versions: the US will play up the sex and violence and probably lose most of the plot intricacies. I do LOVE how the actors in the Swedish films look like real people (lacking make-up and boob jobs, etc.). Lends an air of REALITY to the movies. US should take note: it's ok for haggard  middle-aged women to look like haggard middle-aged women.
  5. Eclipse (2010). So, so, so bad. Hated the books, hate the movies--but it's such a pop culture phenomenon, I kind of feel drawn to it, just to see what all the fuss is about. I don't get it.
  6. Dreamcatcher (2003). Worse than Eclipse. I'm embarrassed on behalf of everyone involved in this movie. The book was bad, the movie was worse. WHY did anyone think a movie about aliens that are called "shit monsters" (because they explode out of your butthole after a rough bout of horrible gas) would be a good idea?! I had to see this movie just to see how they dealt with that (they dealt with it poorly, very, very poorly). I need to widen my movie-net to include items NOT in Netflix instant-play line-up. 
  7. All About Eve (1950). Love old movies. Had no idea that Single White Female was a re-make (lol). Been wanting to see this one for EVER and I'm so happy I finally sat down to watch it (unlike when I finally sat through all 40 hours--it seemed--of Lawrence of Arabia: HATED that one).


.

No comments:

Post a Comment