Friday, February 25, 2011

Kid's Activity Calendar

About a year ago, I designed this wall calendar for my living room's play area. My kids were 4 and 2 at the time and really needed to know what the plan was when they woke up everyday. They can't read yet, so pictures--not words--were definitely the way to go.

This is a rental-house, so I didn't want to put a bunch of holes in the wall (or else I would have mounted all this more prettily on wood backing and used hooks to dangle the activities off of each day). Scotch-tape was the cheap-o, more temporary route I took.

Anyway, every Saturday, after the kids headed off to bed, I'd update their calendar for the coming week, with photos representing various activities, holidays, appointments (storytime, playdate, dentist, birthday party, school, soccer, etc.) and each day I'd just move the blue arrow so they'd know what our itinerary was. Worked AWESOME. They'd climb out of bed and wander into the living room and immediately turn to the calendar to see what the plan was.


And another photo, with a bit more perspective:


.

No comments:

Post a Comment