Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Magic in our House

Right now, I'm working my way through my first Nancy Drew Mystery (curiosity got the better of me at the library last week)! It's cute and all, but I can't help thinking that if a cute and innocent (read: naive) girl was driving all over the place today, barging into stranger's houses she'd probably be raped or get caught up in a sex-trafficking operation before she knew it. She wouldn't be invited in for cake and impromptu birthday parties by total strangers. The times have DEFINITELY changed.

At any rate, I'm on a mission to scout out the FIRST book in various famous kids' series to try 'em out, so when I found the first Magic Tree House book a couple weeks ago at my local used book store, I was pretty excited to give it a whirl. It was about dinosaurs (which have always been favorites at my house) so it reeled 'em right in. The second book is about knights & castles (I picked it up at the library last week, also).


Currently looking for a CHEAP lot of these books on ebay or wherever. I think they are books that we'll be able to re-read and they're really--REALLY--enjoying them. Of course they're both BEGGING me to read the second Harry Potter book, but I told 'em they'll have to wait a few years. Harry gets pretty scary pretty fast and my oldest daughter is pretty sensitive to that kind of stuff.

In the mean time, I think we'll have plenty of adventures with Jack and Annie to distract us.

.

2 comments:

  1. Try Junie B. Jones too! Calendar Club is ok. Of course the Ramona books and the Henry and Ribsy books are good too. xo Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Junie B. fan. She's not a very nice kid. . . nor is ANYone else in her class and that bothers me.

    I LOVED Ramona as a kid, I should pick up the first Ramona book and re-read it; wonder if Monkey's ready for it yet!

    ReplyDelete